- This event has passed.
(Free!) After Work Wednesday: How to Create a Deep Pantry
May 25, 2022 @ 5:15 pm - 6:15 pm EDTFree
If your family cannot go a month without going to the grocery store, or you are constantly throwing away expired or leftover food, you need this workshop.
This is not a siren call to panic and dash to the store to buy all the things! Rather, we focus on level-headed practices to build and rotate a reserve of the things you use every day so that you can responsibly manage your family’s needs and finances.
You will learn:
- How to develop a functional home pantry
- How to use rotational inventory to prevent food waste
- Different forms of food preservation and the benefits of each
- Practical meal planning as a tool for pantry management
- Who knows what else may come up!
Prior to the workshop I will provide you a worksheet for you to inventory a few of your most-used household items. We’ll use that list during the workshop to practice calculating how much of a particular item you need to store for the length of time you want to have it on hand. This is an invaluable skill that really upped my pantry game from just guessing how much we might need (I was not good at this initially) to knowing with very good accuracy what a monthly or quarterly supply of everything we use looks like.
It is incredibly empowering to have the things you use on a regular basis in stock, all the time, on your own shelves. It enables you to continue on as you typically live during short term supply interruptions, financial adjustments, illness or other stressful life events. Last minute trips to the store because you ran out of something can be a thing of the past. And good pantry management serves as a hedge against inflation when you are able to purchase a useable amount of surplus before prices go up and can manage frugal bulk purchases.
What to bring:
- Your inventory sheet homework (instructions will be sent via email)
- Preferred note-taking device, if you’d like (I will also provide a reference handout)
Other important info:
- This is a masks-optional event. Please bring your mask if you prefer to wear one.
Cancellation policy: we do not refund, but we can reschedule most of the time
- Contact Us at least a week in advance and we will apply the value of your ticket to another class. Cancellations made within a week of the class will not be rescheduled.
- Tickets are transferrable – if you cannot make it but know someone else who can, gift or sell your ticket to a friend who might enjoy the experience!